Doggone Doggie is Gone

It's been a terribly sad 48 hours. Our dog Jake has gone missing. He and his best buddy BG broke out of our backyard into our neighbor's backyard Monday afternoon. Wouldn't you know it, the neighbors have a gaping hole in their fence. BG & Jake went through it and kept right on going. Being the bad doggy parents that we are, we didn't notice they were gone for quite some time. It was only when I opened the door to feed them that I realized they were gone. Immediately I felt a big knot in my stomach. My dogs were GONE! Yes we may neglect them, and yes they are starved for attention most of the time, but that doesn't mean that they aren't LOVED!
After hours of late night searching, Darren and I called it a night and went to bed, knowing that our dogs were out there, all alone in the dark and without the comfort of their warm beds. Amazingly, BG showed up sometime during the night. When Darren got up at 4:00am for work, he looked in our backyard and saw BG. But, damnit, no Jake. This is really upsetting because these two dogs ALWAYS stick together. They have gotten out many times before, and we've always found them together - but not this time. That tells me something bad has happened. And poor BG really does look depressed. He just mopes around the house and the backyard and sleeps. I know he must have seen something.
So now Jake's picture is posted on all the mailboxes I could find. Next is checking with the pound as well as the SPCA. I told you I was a bad doggy parent. I mean, I didn't even take the time to buy my dogs tags in case something like this ever happened. If Jake had a tag, then chances are he'd be home by now.
And what really makes me feel bad is that this isn't just any dog. Jake is a dog with signifigance. Darren and I bought him at a pet store on our honeymoon. We already knew we were pregnant with Dylan, so we went shopping for a companion for BG as well as a dog for our unborn child. So we picked Jake. Jake the Honeymoon/Baby Dog. And now our significant dog is gone.
I really hope someone has him. I really hope he's safe. I really hope he'll come back home so I can have a second chance to be a better doggy mommy. I really miss that dog.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home